Sunday 24 April 2016

The PE Journal

Why didn't I do this years ago?

Over the years I have devised quizzes, questionnaires, and refection sheets for my students in an attempt to capture evidence of learning, but also to find out more of what is in their heads. We all know that some students are willing to answer questions during discussion time, while others avoid raising their hand. Is it because they don't know the answer, or are they just shy? It's hard to say.

Quizzes and tests are a risk because some students may interpret the question in a way that is different to why you asked it. Sometimes a student's literacy skills prevent them from answering accurately, or their writing is so poor it is difficult to understand what they have written.

The idea of interviewing all my students to uncover their knowledge and thoughts is of course out of the question as it would take far too long.

So I have come up with what I hope is a solution - the PE Journal. 



It works like this:

  • It is simply an exercise book. One for each student in years 4-6. 
  • I keep these books in a box in my store room and I bring them to PE class.
  • I have a pencil case of pens that I bring with me for students to use.
  • Students may be asked to write at the start, middle or end of a lesson.
  • Writing time is minimal - 2-3 minutes so it does not encroach on activity time too much.
  • Sometimes I ask students to write answers to specific questions, other times it may be an opinion.
  • Sometimes students self asses themselves or their peers. Other times they reflect on their learning.
  • Students can write in sentences, bullet points, construct a table, draw diagrams - it is their choice.
  • I have a journal for every class too, which I use just like the students - to model journaling.



Rather than prescribe what topics I will have my students write about at the start of a unit, I leave it up to the moment in a lesson when something relevant occurs to inspire the writing topic. That way it is real and relevant. This journal is checked by me throughout the term and is extremely useful in capturing my students' thoughts, ideas, opinions, reflections and assessments in a journal format which allows personal expression in a private context.

I believe that expressing one's self on paper is cathartic and so the habit of journaling itself is a good one to establish. 

This journal will go home at the end of each semester so that parents can also get the insight I get with the PE Journal.

*          *          *          *          *          *

I would love to hear about other ways of capturing the learning, ideas and opinions of students that you or other teachers may use. Please add a comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment