Tuesday 1 August 2017

Let Them Play - An Update

My last post was some time ago. I went through a phase of consistent blogging and tweeting and updating Facebook pages (Primary PE, Physed Ideas), but it wasn't sustainable. I am not a writer - I am a teacher, a busy one.

But aren't we all?

 I had to pull back from the 'posting' and get back to my number one priority which is teaching, which of course involves planning and delivering a PE program, and keeping up with the side role of sports coordinator which usually falls to the PE teacher.

In this time I have made some adjustments to my teaching. I last posted about the 'PE Journal' which was an exercise book each student in years 4-6 had to write in each lesson. Reflections, questions, diagrams and suggestions were scribed in the last 5 - 10 minutes of a lesson. While the benefits of developing the journaling habit are well documented, something seemed off to me.

These kids are sitting down.

Think like a child for a moment - they just wanna play!


I could tell from their faces and body language that their one PE session for the week had been diminished by an exercise that was becoming less effective by the week. After a while they lost the interest in writing their thoughts. While some students were fast writers, some were unfocussed, disinterested and wishing they were doing something else - like playing! After all, asking kids to sit on a basketball court, next to a bag of balls and asking them to write? This amounts to torture!

So I eased up on the writing, and instead have returned to the art of discussion time to get the insights, reflections, questions and feedback I wanted to generate. My lessons still have clear learning intentions that are communicated to the students, but I am being sure to maximise 'doing' time to keep them moving and learning.

I am in the process of developing some end of unit questionnaires which will be filled in by students in class time (with the cooperation of my supportive staff - I am lucky to have them!). These will serve to capture the thoughts and insights of those who slip through the discussion cracks.


What have you found when it comes to sit down tasks with your PE classes? What have you found to be sustainable and effective? Share your thoughts below and let's grow as teachers.


No comments:

Post a Comment