Monday 18 April 2016

Phys Ed Vision Statement

For this post I simply want to share the vision statement I created to guide PE at my school - Queen of Apostles.

After seeing the TED talk by Simon Sinek and reading his book 'Start With Why', I got thinking about questions like:

Why Phys Ed?
Why do we have Phys Ed at my school?
Why should it remain as part of the curriculum?
Why should anyone think that Phys Ed is important?
Why should anyone believe that I am doing any good for my students?

I couldn't answer any of these easily without writing a long list of the things I do as part of the PE program. This list would be what Simon Sinek calls the 'what' of Phys Ed. But as he explains in his book, the organisations, companies, businesses, leaders and yes - schools, that have people believing, understanding and following what they do all start with 'why'. If you want people to believe in your purpose, as Simon explains, don't tell them 'what' you do, start with 'why' you do it.

So I put pen to paper and wrote down what I thought were the important elements that best explain 'why' I do what I do and 'why' my students, parents, and wider community should be a part of it.

So this is what I came up with:

Queen of Apostles Physical Education


Vision Statement: Why?


Enriching the lives of our students
by developing mind, body, spirit and community
through play.


Learn to do clever things with your mind, fun things with your body and good things with your heart with friends, family, in the community or on your own.


Mission Statement: How?


With sport and physical activity as its context, and by
celebrating individual differences, our mission is to
provide a variety of experiences through which its members
develop mental skills,
physical skills,
social skills and a
sense of community in a
safe and
stimulating environment.


What?:
PE lessons, Sport sessions, Morning fitness, Faction Carnivals, Clinics and other events, Interschool carnivals and Camp.


Core values:


Students will be given the opportunity to
  1. inquire about, reflect upon and analyse aspects of their learning.
  2. Iearn, practice and further develop physical skills that can then be applied to physical activities and sport.
  3. develop and demonstrate empathy, understanding, patience, fairness, kindness and inclusivity.
  4. Participate in and contribute towards whole school and community physical activity events.

 And with this I can now point to the big writing on the wall and say "This is why we have PE in our school. This is why it is important and should remain a focus for us. This is why you should join me and be a part of something that is valuable and worth working towards. The wording may take some tweaking in the months to come, but for now it gives me a direction. Everything I do will serve this vision.

See more at www.qoape.com


*          *          *          *          *          *
Do you have a mission statement?
Have you thought about why you are in your current job?
Does your organisation have it's members believing what it strives for?

I would love to hear your 'Whys'. Please comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment