Tuesday 12 September 2017

Applying Bloom's Taxonomy to My Programs

I like Bloom's Taxonomy. I like structure and hierarchy. I like how in Bloom's it graduates from lower order thinking up to higher order thinking. I thought about how I could incorporate this into my programs. More specifically, how could I use it for my lesson/unit outcomes?

Depending on which version of Bloom's you look at on the internet, the order is usually:

Knowledge, Comprehension, Application, Analysis, Synthesis, Evaluation.

Sometimes I have seen it with Synthesis and Evaluation swapped around. Either way, it shows a progression from lower order or basic thinking up to more complex or higher order thinking.

So, to apply this to PE, I set about asking:

What do I want my students to:

Know, retell, recall, list.
Comprehend, understand, explain.
Apply, show understanding, demonstrate.
Analyse, compare, contrast, find similarities and differences.
Synthesise, create, develop, formulate, invent.
Evaluate, argue, assess, decide, judge.

An example from my year 5/6 field invasion games units is:

E - Evaluate field invasion games to determine which ones are best suited to their interests and personalities
C - Create modified rules to allow greater inclusion and fair games.
An - Analyze their own and their peers’ skill level
Ap - Apply skills and strategies to game play
C - Comprehend basic strategies and purpose to field invasion games

K - Know game rules and scoring systems

This gives me 6 big chunks to tackle in discussions and lesson design. As it is PE, a big portion of lesson time is devoted to game play and being active, so the application of skills and tactics is a big focus, but the other aspects are catered for also. Using Bloom's allows me to set up a blueprint of activities that includes simple discussion/teaching points, such as rules and scoring, right up to more complex thoughts such as determining which games are preferred by students in relation to their interests and abilities.

You can see more of how I apply Bloom's Taxonomy to my programs by going to www.qoape.com and clicking on the 'PE Lessons' tab.








No comments:

Post a Comment